The Attendees: adults, with the invite requesting that guests arrive in costume
The Host: an experienced chef, will be serving cocktails and small bites that nod at the holiday's playfulness.
The Venue: the host's home, on a cleared large covered outdoor deck. (several outdoor heaters will be rented)
The Date: Halloween Eve.
Here's what I'm recommending to create a stunning ambiance for this Halloween celebration:
1. Create a translucent atmosphere through the use of 'ghost' furniture and accessories. The setting will provide a tongue in cheek play on the holiday's theme and allow for the guests' costumes to be the main piece of decor. A variety of chair heights and table heights will be used.
2. The dark night sky will set the stage nicely. Lighting will be kept low, with the use of low wattage table lamps scattered on cocktail tables throughout the space. Additional lighting will be small white string lights strung in a wide grid pattern across the deck's ceiling. (The overhead lights will cause the balloons, mentioned next, to glow.)
3. Translucent helium balloons will cover the ceiling with matching clear ribbons tied to them. A few orange and black balloons will be added to nod at the holiday's traditional color palette.
4. Halloween themed artwork, by a variety of etsy artists, will be framed and hung by clear filament so that they appear to float at the edge of the deck. The host plans to donate the pieces to a local charity auction post-event.
5. White 'ghost' pumpkins will be placed on the buffet and cocktail tables, as well as at the edge of the decking.